Tuesday, October 2, 2012

New Budget and Organization Woes, Help Please!

Budget
Today I started a new budget.  My dream when I was in High School and in college was to make enough money to not have to worry about it.  I wanted to be able to go to the grocery store and buy whatever I desired.  And, that's how I've been living my life!  But, the reality is, that no matter what you make, you'll spend it.  And it's not like I'm crazy out of control, but I've gotten myself into some debt.  Now, hear me out, my debt started because I wanted to put new windows in my house.  I have a lot of freaking windows, so this was a lot of money.  But, once you've "charged it" you have to cut back and actually pay it off.  I've made great headway; I've reduced it a lot.  But, I have a little ways to go, and until I pay it off I can't really justify doing anymore projects on my house.  So it's time to stop living like I don't have to worry about money and to start budgeting my funds with the goal of getting my debt paid off.  Even though I don't act like it, It is a big stresser for me.  However, I also live for going out, doing stuff and that usually wins out.  Today I decided it's time to change that.  In addition to creating a budget where I only have so much to spend on fun, groceries and anything above and beyond bills and gas I'm going to attempt to do the following things:


  • Stop purchasing anything off the deal sites, unless it's a Christmas gift and it's a good deal.  I have a huge family so it will be less painful if I start getting some of the shopping out of the way right now.
  • Stay with my friends and borrow a car when I go to Texas.  I know my friends are fine with this; they always offer.  But, I'm always so hard headed that I choose to take care of myself, get a hotel, rent a car.  
  • Make grocery lists.  Now that my grocery budget is part of my fun budget it will be important to shop smartly.  Plus, I really didn't do much of the shopping; now that Tyler is gone I'll have to shop.  In fact I'm sitting here right now realizing I haven't eaten dinner and I have no motivation to do so.
  • Cut back on the need to fill my weekends and focus on getting caught up around the house with projects as well as hanging with friends and family, doing free things.
  • Cooking dinner at home.  Check out some casseroles, crock pot dishes and soups; things that will last several days.
  • Pack my lunch for work, I did this today!
That's what I've got for now, please leave me suggestions!!

Organization
I found out that I'm really good at throwing stuff away.  That really is my only good organization skill. Other than that I just move stuff around every time I reorganize things.  For instance tonight I was cleaning up my bedroom and after I put all the clothes away I decided to go through my two makeup bags, my makeup organizer and random baskets around my room.  Sure, I got rid of a bunch of stuff, but I don't feel like anything is any more organized.  I now have a basket that contains toy/game type things:  car ride bingo boards, mad libs, bop-it and my karma check book.  My other basket contains 6 pairs of sunglasses and my switch flop change out parts and pieces.  I just don't feel any more organized.  There are really great ideas on Pinterest, I just need to follow through.



It would be great if you have suggestions!