Monday, November 12, 2012

Christmas Chocolate Molding

Back in August my friend Chelsea and I took a chocolate molding class.  We were both a little nervous about it but it turned out to be pretty easy, super fun and then delicious when it was time to eat our creations.   I decided I was going to get the supplies to do this at home and throw a chocolate molding party for my friends around the holidays.  I've been slowly picking up supplies, and today I placed my final order.  I can't wait to get my friends together to create delicious treats that can be simply enjoyed or cutely packaged up and given away as gifts.

Supplies

Molds
Owl sucker mold; you know I had to get this one.
The various Christmas themed molds that I ordered.
Melting Chocolate -- Unless you are a true chocolate maker you need to make sure you get the temper-free chocolate melts; it's the same melts that are used for cake pops.  All you must do then is melt down in order to get into the dispensers and then keep on a warm water bath so it doesn't harden.

Bada Bing Bada Boom - Most people who try this can't tell the difference between  this melt and high end tempered chocolates.  I purchased dark, milk and white chocolate.  The white can be mixed with coloring to make any color under under the sun.
Tools and Accessories

Oil Based Chocolate Coloring - I'll probably have to  pick up some more Christmas-y colors.
Sugar Based Metallic Dust - This makes your piece look amazing and festive.  
Sucker Sticks
Chocolate Dispenser.  You fill up several of these so a whole group of people can be working.  You cut different shapes/widths on the cap to control the flow of the chocolate that you are adding to the mold.
Luckily I already have an electric skillet, this serves as the warm water bath.

From Last Time





stillbeingmolly

What holiday baking, crafts or present making do you do each year?  Are you planning anything new this season?