Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Two Science People Attempting Art…

My friend Bridget and I decided to take a leap of faith and attempt to paint.  There is this business in the Seattle area called Corks and Canvas that I’ve been hearing about for a while.  The concept is that you go to a local winery or wine bar.  They have a canvas that an artist painted, which serves as the focus for the evening.  While you are sipping wine and getting tipsy, an artist walks you through step by step how to recreate the model painting.  They teach you color mixing, brush techniques and so much more.  You can try to completely copy the original or give it your own twist.  At the end of the night, everyone’s paintings look unique and surprisingly good.  I was shocked that I could actually paint.
Our experience went down at Corks and Canvas, which was a beautiful establishment.  They had various bars set up featuring different wineries.  The food was a little to uppity for me; or perhaps I just don’t have a sophisticated enough palate:)  Dishes like salt cod fritters, pork belly croquettes and roasted cauliflower.  I had an interesting bathroom experience.  The words were in Italian (I think) and it was not clear which was the women’s.  I just took my chance and then hoped that there were no men; I guess right and I wasn’t the only one that had that experience, whew.
Corks and Canvas                                                                   Bridget and I with our finished piece  
  2012-07-11_20-58-11_919                                                                      Alicia’s rendition of the Seattle Skyline
bridges art                                                             Bridget added water, which was an excellent touch
And we just signed up for another wine sipping and painting session for next week!  Okay maybe not sipping.